Saturday, April 19, 2008

No Dancing on my Donation!

Reading a recent article on gifts to colleges, "When Strings Are Attached, Quirky Gifts Can Limit Universities," I found myself taken back to the good old days at my alma mater, William Jewell College. A school with Baptist roots, Jewell, for decades, never had a dance on campus. (Baptists, you see, have traditionally disapproved of sex, believing that it may lead to dancing.) Instead of a Homecoming Dance, we had a Homecoming Concert. This was in the days before moshing, but I am fairly certain, despite never attending one of these events, that there were curmudgeonly overseers strolling the aisles to ensure that the movement did not wax rhythmic.
Was there a point to this post? Oh yeah! William Jewell used to play its indoor sports in the lovely and ancient Brown Gymnasium. After the construction of a fine new fieldhouse, which opened in time to mark my arrival on campus, the Brown Gym became a bit of a redundancy. The Browns, I am told, gave the money to build the gym with the stipulation that if a dance were ever held on campus, the gym would be burned down. Although I rather doubt such a restriction actually existed, it makes for a fun story. When the college raised buckets-full of dough to convert the gym into a performing arts center and classrooms, they apparently decided that whatever stipulation was in force had fallen away with the conversion of the building from gym to catch-all.
Sometimes, an alumnus' generosity winds up putting more burden on the school than their gift is actually worth. I'm contemplating some sort of poison-pill donation to one of my several former schools. Perhaps I could donate a new theater with the understanding that plays by Edward Albee must be performed in Norwegian at least once every leap year. That sounds like fun.

No comments: