Friday, February 8, 2008

Union University

It’s tough for me to watch the news this week as I see the results of the nasty weather from Tuesday night. While Kansas City was experiencing virtually nothing to complain about, a row of tornados sliced across several states. People in Arkansas rode out these snow twisters in bathtubs, but my mind is drawn to Union University, a Baptist school in Jackson, Tennessee, where a couple of dorms were pretty well obliterated during the night. My former college roommate used to be a librarian there, while a current writing teammate, Joanna, retired from the university and still lives in Jackson. Several editors and other writers I’ve worked with have kids and other family members in school at Union. Miraculously, no students at Union were killed. I guess there’s some sort of message here, but I don’t know what it is.

No comments: